How to choose the perfect granite for a dream home?
Are you thinking of decorating or renovating the place with granite! Then be assured that the stone will last a lifetime with general upkeep. Indian Granite is one of the best choices to decorate a house with as it is one of the hardest stones and is available in many colors and designs. Granite is usually used in kitchen and bathroom countertops.
When deciding on what type of granite to use for any home, there is a need to keep the following things in mind –
1. The finish of the stone
This is the most crucial step. Granite is usually available in three finishes, and each has its special features.
- The first type is Honed finish. It is essentially the matte version of granite which is produced by sanding the stone. The surface of honed granite feels like satin, but it is not slippery. Since it is matte, it does not reflect and hides imperfections better than other finishes. However, since it has been sanded, it requires resealing.
- The second type is Leather finish. It is the most textured out of all finishes and looked the best on darker shades of granite. It hides fingerprints and marks well, but it must be cleaned every day to last long.
- The third type is Polish finish, and it is one of the most commonly found. It has a slippery, glossy surface. Colored granite looks the best with a polished finish. The stone is ground and buffed to produce this finish.
2. Research online, buy here
It is necessary to see the stone first before buying it. This is because granite usually has subtle colored patterns running through the stone. These patterns usually cannot be photographed properly. Even if two pieces of granite are the same color, they will not have the same pattern. Online shopping will not show the exact granite while receiving.
- Keep lighting in your mind while choosing granite. If there is natural light in the room, choose darker colors like Vizag blue, Absolute black, or mahogany to decorate and give the best look. Whereas if there is not enough light, it is best to go with light colors like white, gold, or a color with a light-hued pattern. Adding extra light over a granite countertop brings out the colors magnificently.
- Be careful with the mixing of colors. If there is dark wood in the house, avoid buying dark granite to overshadow the room. On the other hand, light wood with light granite looks beautiful and gives the room a brighter essence. You can also choose to mix the colors by using dark granite with lighter wood and vice versa.
- Emerald Pearl / Lebrador Blue granite is one of the best choices for dark granite as it features pink, gold, and grey patterns, while beige and pearl granites are the most beautiful and lighter ones.
3. Long lasting investment
It is one of the stones that is costlier compared to marbles, but has a long-lasting finish and low maintenance in terms of investment.
- Consider the granite as an investment as it is one of the most durable substances used in décor. It is available in the market in a wide range. Some varieties are more expensive because of availability, design, or the stone’s processing. It may appear expensive in the beginning, but it is an excellent long-term investment.
- Check the stone for reflection of light and subsequent color. Usually, in showrooms, granite is kept standing up. When deciding a color, ask someone to lay the granite flat on the floor. This will help you visualize how the stone will look and how well it will reflect the light in your home.
Besides the above points, carry samples of the wood or marble you have used in the home or take pictures. This will help to decide which granite accents décor is better to go.
The best feature of granite is that every piece is unique since it is not an artificial stone. No two pieces of granite will ever have the same patterns or specks. It is also available in many colors – green, white, red, pink, blue, black, and much more. Making the right decision is essential as granite lasts for a very long time.
Fortuna Marmo Granite providing Finished Countertops, Kitchentops & Iselands with customized Size. Our Edges Profile includes, Double Chamfer, Double Bullnose, Double Full Bullnose, Half Bullnose Chamfer, Chamfer, Single Bullnose and Quarter Round Cutting Edge Countertops. And these are available in High Quality & Smooth Finish.